Set overlooking a six-kilometre stretch of pristine sand, the seven suites at Lekkerwater Beach Lodge have been carefully designed to let ocean views take centre stage. Floor-to-ceiling windows deliver remarkable sea vistas from every corner of the suite, while the protected outdoor deck provides a perfect oasis of privacy.
Indoors, the décor takes its cue from the natural beauty of the surrounding reserve. With a colour palette of blues and greens balanced by rich organic textures, the aesthetic in each suite is a subtle mirror of the scenic beauty beyond. Cool sea breezes take the edge off summer’s heat, while a wood-burning stove in each suite offers welcome warmth when dramatic winter storms roll in.
At the main lodge a wrap-around deck offers the perfect space to admire the sunrise over morning coffee, or perhaps a sundowner to toast the end of a remarkable day at De Hoop. Meals are enjoyed family-style at the large communal table or individually per party, and guests are encouraged to engage with the chefs at the interactive open kitchen.
When the weather permits, dining may be enjoyed on the beach, and lunchtime picnic baskets are available on request.
Due to the location of the lodge on a sand dune overlooking the sea, there are numerous steps down to the beach and some steepish walkways that need to be navigated. Our guided activities are also focused on walking the hills and beaches and the most productive low tide reefs are a reasonable walking distance away from the lodge. To get the maximum enjoyment out of Lekkerwater, guests need to be reasonably fit, active and agile, or alternatively they need to be comfortable with just relaxing at the lodge and enjoying the view.
Children at Lekkerwater
Lekkerwater welcomes children 6 years and older, provided that their parents are able to ensure that their behaviour in the main living area does not disturb other guests. There is one family bedroom with an upstairs loft area and shared open plan bathroom. All other bedrooms are stand alone rooms not suitable for children under 12 years, unless accompanied by one adult. From time to time we offer exclusive use options, where a family or families can book out the entire lodge. On these occasions we welcome children of any age, provided that all the parties in the group are informed and understand that there is an open swimming pool with no barriers or nets, as well as high drop-offs around the lodge that are protected solely by simple rope balustrades. We can only accept young children on the condition that parents are solely responsible for their children’s whereabouts, safety and behaviour at all times.
Need to know
- Lekkerwater offers 7 rooms: 6 twin/double, 1 family unit with second loft bedroom.
- En-suite bathrooms with indoor ‘in-suite’ showers.
- Wi-Fi: To preserve the sense of escapism, Wi-Fi access is only available in guest suites and due to the location can be erratic. Please note that mobile phone signal at De Hoop is extremely limited.
- Battery charging facilities: Available in each suite.
- Child policy: We welcome children aged 6 years and older. Please be aware that the lodge swimming pool is unfenced, and there is no lifeguard on duty at the pool or on the beach.
- Disabled access: please enquire directly with reservations. Unfortunately due to the lodge location, activities and constraints, we are not equipped for hosting guests with disabilities.
- Access: the lodge is accessed by a dirt road. The condition of this road changes from time to time depending on the weather and the traffic.